Shon Cook Law, PC
Serving Muskegon, Ottawa, Kent, Oceana, And Surrounding Communities
CALL TODAY! 231-246-4807
Menu / Navigate

Whitehall Family Law Blog

Mediation could save your post-divorce co-parenting relationship

By nature, the traditional courtroom experience is adversarial. Litigation tends to pit one side against the other. That may be okay under certain circumstances, but when it comes to Michigan parents getting a divorce, this could prove catastrophic.

Parents need to continue working together despite the end of their marriages. "Battling" in a courtroom over custody of the children is not a good way to begin a new chapter in the life of a family. If you find yourself thinking the same thing, you may want to try mediating your child custody issues instead.

What you need to know about getting a DUI

If you have just gotten charged for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you may be unsure what to do next. Hopefully you never find yourself in this situation but in case you do, here are some things to know.

In Michigan, a first offense Operating While Intoxicated charge (OWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) charge entitles fines, driving restrictions, community service and/or jail-time. Here are some things you can expect to happen if you are pulled over and suspected of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.


Friend of the Court is an administrative agency that is heavily involved in all family law cases involving minor children, but few people know who they are, or what they do before they step through the door of their office for the first time. Just whose friend are they, whose best interest are they looking out for, and why do I need to talk to them at all? These might be just a few of the questions you have if you're facing a family law matter for the first time, which can be one of the most uncertain and traumatic events in life. Hopefully the information below takes away some of that uncertainty, however, feel free to contact our office if you have any further questions.


Obtaining legal rights for an unmarried father in Michigan is not as simple as being on the birth certificate. An unwed father must prove to a Judge he is the father before he can be given any rights to custody or parenting time.


Shon Cook Law, PC
120 E Slocum St
Whitehall, MI 49461-1044

Phone: 231-246-4807
Fax: 231-894-0911
Whitehall Law Office Map

Contact Shon Cook Law, PC

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Back to Top